The Dyspraxia Support Group of New Zealand Inc
Originally we were a parent-initiated, voluntary, support group for children with Developmental Dyspraxia. Our group was founded in Christchurch, New Zealand by Judy Davies, QSM, in June 1992. The organisation has now grown to employ staff to support anyone requesting our services. We are unique in the help, support and information we provide.
Our membership base includes families, whanau, caregivers, and professionals from around the world. We aim to empower all people experiencing the impact of Developmental Dyspraxia/DCD by:
- Providing support, sharing concerns and solutions with other parents, caregivers and professionals experiencing similar situations
- Sharing up to date information to increase understanding of the disorder.
- Building and using a store of resources and information.
- Publishing a newsletter, ‘Connections’, once a term.
- Increasing general awareness and understanding of Developmental Dyspraxia/DCD
Our National Office, based in Christchurch, New Zealand, can be contacted by phone or email to help find the appropriate information or support. We have regional contacts in many areas of New Zealand providing local knowledge. Our National Fieldworker holds meetings, in Christchurch, once per term which may include guest speakers or discussions. Meetings are also held in other centres. We have an active Facebook page as well as forums for those with Developmental Dyspraxia/DCD and for parents/caregivers as a means of sharing information and providing support. In the Canterbury area we also run programmes for children, teenagers and young adults with Developmental Dyspraxia/DCD.